Here we are in 2021 and many of us are still working from home — many of us for good. Still, if you’ve been WFH for a while, you may notice a little something is “off” in your routine, namely the part about staying healthy.
It’s easy to see how it happens. Work time can easily bleed into leisure time and before we know it, it’s 8 p.m. and we haven’t eaten dinner. What to do? The experts will tell you it’s all about setting boundaries. Here are a few tips to do just that:
- Carve out a dedicated space for work. Whether it’s a home office or a corner of the house, confining work to one place can help you stay sane. Work will always be there. Out of sight, out of mind! Shut down the laptop at a set time and remain faithful to a reasonable work schedule. Your family will thank you!
- Move. While you can’t go to an exercise class right now, that doesn’t mean you have to resign yourself to being sedentary. Quite the contrary! You can stretch, try out some new yoga poses and get some heart-pumping exercise right in your own home and back yard.
- Eat healthy meals. It may be tempting to snack all day, especially during these uncertain times. Hello, temptation! But snacking can add up to a lot of empty calories. Do your best to eat regular protein- and nutrient-rich meals while keeping your water intake up, too. Try logging your exercise, meals, snacks and drinks using a free app like MyFitnessPal.
- Connect. Human connection is important. And studies show that a support system can be key in achieving goals. So hop on FaceTime and get social, or meet up with others outside, keeping the required amount of space between you and others. See if you can meet up with others to exercise and you’ll get double the benefits!
- Breathe. It seems everyone is stressed and unsure about what the future holds, but with vaccines rolling out, there is a lot to be hopeful for. Give yourself some grace right now. Know that slip-ups happen, but what matters is that you get back in the game. You’ve got this!